The Fort Hare Foundation (TM 1120) was established in terms of the Trust Deed of 1986 which was revised in 2005. It is registered with SARS as a Public Benefit Organisation (PBO Registration Number 130000987), and therefore it issues Section 18A Certificates for qualifying donations. The Fort Hare Foundation is 100% owned by the University of Fort Hare but operates independently under the leadership of a Board of Trustees. The Board subscribe to good corporate governance. The Foundation’s main purpose is to mobilise resources for the University of Fort Hare in order to achieve excellence and resilience.