The Centre has 3 main focus areas:
- Service delivery:
- Our interns and staff provide a professional, confidential and caring service to children, adolescents and adults.
- We offer individual and group psychological services for a range of difficulties to individuals and communities, who have limited or no access to mental health services.
- Services are provided at the following sites:
a) University of Fort Hare Placement Site – Psychological Services Centre
b) Community Based Sites of Practice – Frere Hospital (Paediatric Outpatient Department), REHAB and the Transnet-Phelophepa Health Care Train.
c) School Based Sites of Practice – AW Barnes Primary.
- Internship training:
- The centre offers an exciting and stimulating training experience to intern psychologists through the provision of mental health services to the greater East London area and more widely within the Eastern Cape Province.
- As our internship program is developed around a strong community service focus, the PSC continually explores partnerships with organizations and community structures. The aim of these partnerships are twofold:
a) to provide sustainable professional psychological services in areas of need and in so doing;
b) providing meaningful practical exposure and further training for psychology trainees within a relevant South African context.
- The PSC undertakes research that contributes to the body of knowledge on effective psychological interventions and to develop contextually relevant and sustainable mental health models in partnership with communities, organizations and the public health sector.