Professor / Senior Lecturer
PROFESSOR/SENIOR LECTURER: GIS & REMOTE SENSING
Minimum Requirements And Competencies:
- PhD in GIS / Remote Sensing (or a related field).
- Min. 10 years teaching/research and work experience in GIS & Remote Sensing/Min. 5 years for a Senior Lecturer.
- Experience with successful supervision at Hon, Master & PhD levels.
- Working experience with multiple GIS/RS software packages, such as ArcGIS, ERDAS Imagine, ENVI, IDRISI, ILWIS and statistical packages such as SPSS & Excel.
- A proven track record in terms of the ability to initiate, lead and conduct relevant research including participation in collaborative research programmes as well as the ability to mentor junior staff. Experience with administration will be added advantage.
- Publication in rated journals and evidence of fund raising is essential. NRF rating will be an added advantage. Applicants with foreign qualifications will need to have evaluation of their certificates by the South Africa Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
- Registration with a recognised South African Professional Organisation, such as South African Geomatics Council (SAGC) or South African Council for Natural Scientific Professions (SACNASP).
- Teaching GIS and Remote Sensing at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Supervising postgraduate students’ research and training in the Department and contribute to capacity building.
- Seek research funding and conduct own research.
- Give direction to the department’s academic aspects such as course development, course assessment and curriculum review.
- Participate in normal administrative duties necessary for the smooth running of the department with the possibility of assuming the role of HoD.
- Offer support to academic staff in scientific research, publications and supervision of graduate students.
- Provide mentorship required to register students with recognised South African Professional Organisations.
To apply for any of the position(s) above, all interested applicants who meet the criteria are invited to:
E-mail application with Motivation Letter Clearly Indicating The Position You Are Applying For, accompanied by a complete CV which must contain the contact details (email and telephone) of three referees, a certified copy of an identity document and a certified copy of your highest qualification to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Fort Hare is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Pursuant to complying with the Employment Equity Act No.55 of 1998, when appointing preference will be given to applicants from designated groups whose appointments will contribute towards achievement of equitable demographic presentation of our workforce profile. The University reserves the right NOT to appoint