GOVAN MBEKI RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CENTRE
INNOVATION MANAGER: ALICE CAMPUS: REF NO. 6604
SALARY: R 465 504 – R 578 463 (All-inclusive package)
The Govan Mbeki Research and Development Centre (GMRDC) at the University of Fort Hare has a vacancy for the Intellectual Property and Innovation Manager who is required to promote and facilitate the identification, protection, management and commercialisation of Intellectual Property and in an efficient and effective way for the University of Fort Hare.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES:
- M + 5 in Science, Commerce or Engineering or appropriate Master’s Degree.
- Project management and commercialisation experience would be an advantage.
- At least five years working experience with three years relevant experience.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the South African National system of Innovation.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Intellectual Property Rights from Publicly Financed Research and Development Act, no 51 of 2008.
- The ability to identify potential intellectual property.
- Self-starter with strong project management skills.
- Understanding of the IP protection and management process.
- Good interpersonal skills with an ability to interact with stakeholders at all levels such as funders, government agencies, companies and with University academics and staff.
- To have excellent verbal and written communication skills particularly MSWord and MS Excel.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Administration of TIA seed funding and related funding applications.
- Ensuring compliance with National (TIA, NIPMO etc) and UFH Tech Transfer structures and policies
- Facilitate the development of high quality and effective systems and policies to ensure that the IP is identified protected and transferred, where possible.
- Facilitate and Manage Technology Transfer interventions by means of technical advice and support through established networks.
- Manage the operations of the Technology Transfer Office including the management of Resources i.e. (People, assets, finances)
- Development of an IP pipeline within UFH through active identification of research work that has the potential to lead to IP.
- Management of Invention disclosures and evaluation thereof.
- Create awareness within UFH and with external stakeholders on R&D opportunities within UFH.
- Manage UFH’s IP Portfolio and develop commercialisation/licensing strategies.
- Manage the administration of the TIA Seed Fund through keeping a database of Seed fund projects up to date including progress tracking and quarterly summaries
- Stakeholder engagement and liaison (e.g. Private sector, government bodies, university staff and students etc.)
How to Apply:
To apply: Interested applicants who meet the criteria are invited to:
1. E-mail application with MOTIVATION LETTER CLEARLY INDICATING THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR, accompanied by a complete CV which must contain the contact details (email and telephone) of three referees, a certified copy of an identity document and a certified copy of your highest qualification to: email@example.com
2. Applications must CLEARLY INDICATE THE REFERENCE NUMBER AND NAME OF THE POST APPLIED FOR ON THE SUBJECT LINE.
3. No faxes or walk-ins (hard copies) will be accepted.
4. Applicants are urged to ensure that their applications reach the Human Resources Department before the closing date. Late applications will not be considered.
5. Failure to comply with the above directions will result in the application being disqualified.
Note: Correspondence will be conducted with short-listed candidates only. Foreign qualifications must be accompanied by an evaluation certificate from SAQA.
Included in the above remuneration is the company contribution to our compulsory pension fund, medical aid contributions, life cover and an optional annual bonus.
The University of Fort Hare is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Pursuant to complying with the Employment Equity Act No.55 of 1998, when appointing preference will be given to applicants from designated groups whose appointments will contribute towards achievement of equitable demographic presentation of our workforce profile. The University reserves the right NOT to appoint