Lecturer-Geology (2) Posts
FACULTY OF SCIENCE AND AGRICULTURE
GEOLOGY LECTURER: 2 POSTS
3 YEAR CONTRACT : EXTERNALLY FUNDED
The department carries out research in niche areas of Economic, Mining and Exploration Geology, Water Resource and Quality Management, Geochemistry, Petrology, Sedimentology, Petroleum Geology and Geophysics, and Exploration Geophysics. We are seeking two young, recently graduated candidates with a master degree for a staff development programme that is externally funded. The candidate must be South African citizen, coming from a disadvantaged background. The candidates must have a strong background in geology and be able to teach geology courses at undergraduate level.The successful applicant will be expected to work effectively in a team environment and show commitment towards a part-time PhD study.
- MSc degree in Geology / Applied Geology. Working experience in a relevant field would be an added advantage;
- Ability to teach geology modules at undergraduate level;
- Ability to supervise Honours students;
- Good teamwork, communication, commitment and interpersonal skills.
- Teach geology at undergraduate levels and assist with modules of the BSc Honours course;
- Initiate Honours research projects and apply for research funding from academic and industrial grant providers;
- Participate in field trips;
- Firm commitment to undertake PhD study and develop into a specialist in any niche area of the Department;
- Carry out research and publish the results;
- Write quarterly progress reports
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates who meet the criteria are invited to submit an application and detailed CV by email to the Human Resource Department: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note that two contract posts are available, renewable annually for 3 years subject to satisfactory teaching and progress in PhD research.
For more information you can contact the Head of Department O Gwavava by email: OGwavava@ufh.ac.za