DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR: RESEARCH, PARTNERSHIP AND INNOVATION
PERIOD: 5 YEARS FIXED TERM
The University of Fort Hare is a vibrant, equitable and sustainable African university, committed to teaching and research excellence at the service of its students, scholars and the wider community.
In its endeavour to position the University of Fort Hare as a centre of research excellence, foster partnerships and enable innovation, the University seeks to appoint a Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Research, Partnership and Innovation reporting to the Vice-Chancellor. The principal purpose of this new post is to provide visionary strategic direction and leadership in the various research and related functions falling under the ambit of this portfolio to capacitate UFH in its endeavours to achieve its strategic objectives.
As a member of the Management Executive Committee (MEC), the position contributes to and provides strategic direction, synergy and unity to the wider operations of the University as well as to the core focus on research, partnerships and innovation.
A main critical function of this new executive post will be to provide institutional leadership in creating a dynamic, efficient and well-functioning new UFH Research and innovation portfolio, which will include as a priority, restructuring the Govan Mbeki Research and Development Centre, which currently houses the University’s research management and administrative services. In addition, the incumbent will oversee all research-related centres and units in the University.
Demonstratable commitment to research training and postgraduate education, as well as ability to drive increasing research productivity and innovation are key differentiators. Complimentary, the individual should be able to demonstrate a deep understanding of the higher education sector with respect to the research funding environment and national and international trends relating to university research infrastructure, technology, intellectual property, patents, innovation and commercialization of research.
A sound track record as an academic leader and knowledge of Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) regulations and other relevant regulations applicable to higher education institutions is critical for the successful candidate.
- A doctoral degree.
- An extensive research background and distinguished research record equivalent to a minimum of associate professor rank level
- Demonstrable minimum 10 years' senior leadership experience in a Higher Education environment of which at least 5 years are at a senior research management level.
To apply: Interested applicants who meet the criteria are invited to:
- E-mail application with MOTIVATION LETTER CLEARLY INDICATING THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR, with a complete resume, certified copies of the identity document, qualifications and three work-related referees to:firstname.lastname@example.org. Enquiries please must be addressed to: Ms Elizabeth Murimwa on email@example.com
- Applications must clearly indicate the reference number and name of the post applied for on the SUBJECT LINE.
- No faxes or walk-ins (hard copies) will be accepted.
- Applicants are urged to ensure that their applications reach the Human Resources Department before the closing date. Late applications will not be considered.
- Failure to comply with the above directions will result in the application being disqualified.
Note: Correspondence will be conducted with short-listed candidates only.