The Old Fort

The Old Fort

Name of Building/Site:
Fort Hare Guard House

Function/Nature:
Military fortification

Date of Origin/Construction:
1847-1883

Description:
Red brick guard house of single storey with a platform roof (since collapsed); loop-holed walls. Constructed at time Fort Hare built as a guard house. Alongside is the east-facing bastion built of stone in which artillery placed. Stonework would have originally been loose packed stone.

Historical/Aesthetic
Significance: Notwithstanding the condition, the building and bastion provide an idea of the extensive nature of fortification at Fort Hare and a tangible link with the history of the area. Is an important tourist attraction and part of the Amathole District Municipality This building provides the idea of the extensive nature of fortification at Fort Hare and a tangible link with history of the area

Log In

Create an account