Located on a hill above Fort Hare University. The Stewart Memorial Tower is sited on the crest of Sandili’s Kop, a conical, flat topped hill to the east of the Alice campus of the University of Fort Hare. The prominent, elevated site has made the Tower a significant landmark in the Town of Alice and the surrounding landscape.
The approach up to the Tower is via a rough vehicle track which terminates in a large oval grassed parking area on the west side of the hill, prior to ascending a short stepped pathway up to the Tower. The path leads the visitor up an onto an axial approach towards the north-west face of the Tower.
Sited on the axial approach is the grave of James Stewart and his wife, Mina Stewart, cut into the bedrock of the hill. The low walls of the grave are capped by a large granite grave stone, the two sloping faces of which have commemorative inscriptions.
The Memorial Tower is square in plan with rounded corners. The Tower sits on a projecting plinth and the significant height of the Tower is accentuated by a slight inward taper. The Tower is terminated by a ‘capital’ which in turn is capped by a simple Celtic cross. The Tower is constructed of hammer dressed free-stone with certain portions dressed to an even face, all of which suggests very fine craftsmanship.
Source: William MARTINSON, December 2010, Writings about this Stewart Memorial Tower Shepherd, RHW. 1971. LOVEDALE SOUTH AFRICA 1824 – 1955. : Lovedale Press. pp 68.