Welcome to the Teaching and Learning Centre
The Teaching and Learning Centre (TLC) was established in 2004 to address the changing needs of Higher Education. The focus of the Centre is to foster teaching and learning excellence to enable students and staff to derive the greatest possible benefit from the academic environment at UFH. The Centre was launched to play a strategic role in all areas of teaching and learning in order to realize the UFH’s vision and mission. The TLC is a stand-alone Centre under the leadership of a Director, who reports to the DVC: Academic Affairs. The Centre provides support to academics and students through a variety of initiatives, programmes and services in three key areas: teaching development which incorporates professionalization of academic staff, the development of student learning, and the integration of technology enhanced learning. These efforts have been further enhanced by the availability of the Teaching Development Grant from the DHET. These monies are also sourced through the TLC.
The TLC’s vision is to be an innovative, well-resourced centre with committed, professional staff contributing to teaching and learning excellence through reflective and research-based practice.
The TLC’s mission is to develop and promote responsive and relevant teaching and learning communities of practice.
The vision and mission will be realized through:
- Professionalisation of higher education teaching practice through the provision of ongoing academic staff support and development through programmes such as the Post Graduate Diploma in Higher Educationand Training(PGDHET)
- The provision of student support and development initiatives for maximisation of learning such as Supplemental Instruction, the Language Writing Advancement Programme and Tutor Training
- The integration of technology to enhance teaching andlearning;
- Collaborative development and review of policies to ensure teaching and learning excellence;
- Promoting the scholarship of teaching and learning (scholarly teaching practice);
- Supporting the design and development of innovative learning programmes; and
- Pursuing internal and external partnerships to furthe rdevelop teaching and learning.