CAREER OPPORTUNITIES IN ECONOMICS
Knowledge of Economics is useful for a career in finance, industry, commerce and public administration and is invaluable to anyone interested in understanding the forces underlying social, political and economic change in South Africa, Africa and beyond. Training in Economics today is an increasingly valuable employment qualification in both the public and private sectors. Companies need people who can see the “big picture”. Economists are sought after in many spheres of business and are especially important to large industry.
Economics is not just useful to those who aim to achieve in the business world; it is useful for everyday activities, such as understanding why the price of petrol is consistently increasing despite the attempts made by government to reduce it, etc.
Economists are required in the following sectors:
- Banking and Financial Markets
- Public Sector, such as the Department of Finance or Trade and Industry
- South African Reserve Bank and other banking and financial institutions
- Specialists in International Economic Affairs
- Economic Consultants in both the Public and Private Sectors