The overall objective of the ICDL Programme is an improvement in the level of basic knowledge about Information Technology (IT) and a higher level of basic competence in using personal computers and common computer applications throughout South Africa and internationally. The target population for the ICDL is various departmental staff, who want to use a personal computer competently. The ICDL qualification allows workers, students and citizens to fomally show, with their certification, that they have basic knowledge and competence in personal computer use. FHS Modules are packaged as follows:
- Introduction to Computer Skills Course (Module 1 & 2)
- MS-Word (Module 3)
- MS-Excel (Module 4)
- MS-Access (Module 5)
- PowerPoint, Internet and Email (Module 6 & 7)
Introduction to Computer Skills Course (ICDL Module 1 & 2) 5 Days
Concepts of Information Technology (IT) requires the candidate to have an understanding of some of the main concepts of IT at a general level.
yy Using the Computer and Managing Files, requires the candidate to demonstrate knowledge and competence in using the common functions of a personal computer and its operating system.
MS-Word (ICDL Mudule 3) 5 Days
Word Processing requres the candidate to demonstrate the ability to use a word processing application on a computer. The candidate shall be able to accomplish everyday tasks associated with creating, formatting and finishing a small sized word processing document ready for distribution.
MS-Excel (icdl module 4) 5 Days
Spreadsheets requires the candidate to understand the concept of spreadsheets and to demonstrate the ability to use a spreadsheet application on a computer. The candidate shall understand and be able to accomplish basic operations associated with developing, formatting, modifying and using a spreadsheet of limited scope ready for distribution.
MS-Access (ICDL Module 5) 5 Days
Database requres the candidate to understand some of the main concepts of databases and demonstrate the ability to use a database on a computer. The candidate shall be able to create and modify tables, queries, forms and reports as well as prepare outputs ready for distribution.
Powerpoint , Internet & Email (Module 6 & 7) 5 Days
- Presentation requires the candidate to demonstrate competence in using presentation tools on a computer. The candidate shall be able to accomplish tasks such as creating, formatting, modifying and preparing presentations using different slide layouts for display and printed distribution.
- Information and Communication is divided in two sections. The first section, Information, requires the candidate to understand some of the concepts and terms associated with using the Internet and to appreciate some of the security situations. The candidate shall also be able to navigate within and use Web-based forms.
- Communication, the candidate is required to understand some of the concepts of electronic mail (e-mail) together with having an appreciation of some of the security considerations associated with using e-mail. the candidate shall also demonstrate the ability to use e-mail software to send and receive messages, and to attach files to mail messages.